Sudan Archive

Open the original scan

OriginalTranslateMachine translation — not a source document

The remaining structure to this day is the famous four-sided column known as Pharaoh's Obelisk, and the round structure called the Column of the Pillars. As for the obelisk, it is one of two obelisks that were erected in front of Caesar's temple and are known as Cleopatra's Needles. The Khedivial government gifted them to the British government, and the British moved them to London in 1717. The priest Manetho, who was in the temple of Heliopolis, said that the two obelisks were carved there and placed in front of the temple with others during the reign of King Moris, Pharaoh, who ascended the throne in 1500 BC.

Among the antiquities of Alexandria is also the obelisk that was moved to the Church of Saint John in Rome, and the obelisk that was moved to Constantinople and placed in the square of Sultan Ahmed Mosque. As for the Column of the Pillars, it is known as the Column of Pompey, the governor of Egypt, and he erected it as a memorial to Diocletian. The length of this column with its capital is 70 English feet, while the length of the column itself is 50 cubits and 10 carats. The diameter of the capital is 10 feet and 2 carats, and its craftsmanship is exquisite. To the east of Alexandria, at a distance of 3 hours from the city, is the district of Raml, which contains many beautiful houses. The notables of Alexandria reside there in the summer due to its pleasant air. Khedive Ismail built a beautiful palace there, and a railway line was built to the aforementioned district, established by a special company.

As for the palaces of Alexandria, its gardens, and its public baths, there is the beautiful Ras el-Tin Palace, which is divided into two large circles, with a spacious, tree-filled square in the middle. The first circle is one of the most magnificent and splendid palaces in the world, where the Khedive resides to oversee the country's affairs and matters. It contains many rooms and halls, all of which are exquisitely crafted, paved with marble and granite, and some are inlaid with gold, mother-of-pearl, ebony, and other precious woods. Its furnishings are luxurious, especially the beautiful hall where official celebrations are held. Its walls are covered with embroidered silk, and its floor is inlaid with intricate pieces of ivory, ebony, mother-of-pearl, and boxwood. When it was completed by Muhammad Ali, its cost was calculated, and it was found that if it had been paved with gold coins, its expenses would have been less than the cost of these woods. As for the second circle, it is reserved for the women and has a large door inscribed with the date of its construction in 1297.

There, towards the city, is the circle of officers and aides, and next to the lighthouse is a row of cannons, and near it is a very well-made naval dock. Among the palaces of Alexandria is also the Qabbari Palace in the Qabbari district, which belongs to Toussoun Pasha, and the palace known as "Marz," which also belongs to Toussoun Pasha. Both are large and beautiful. Among the gardens of Alexandria is the Nozha Garden, located on the...

Text produced by OCR — report an error